Dear Potential Judges!
We are so excited that you are interested in being a judge for the INSPYs! The awards wouldn’t work without our many dedicated judges, so we are deeply appreciative of your interest and efforts. It’s important to us to find the best judges for the awards, so we want to make sure you know what you’re getting into. Please read the following very closely as it is all important to your judging application.
We have some upfront simple criteria that must be met:
• You must be a blogger
• You must provide a link to a recent book review you’ve written.
• You must agree to our statement of faith. We are looking for judges who are people of the Christian faith.
• You must be willing to obtain all of the books if necessary.
• You must agree to read all five shortlisted books by June 14 and participate in an online discussion with the other judges to determine the winner.
• You agree not to blog/tweet/facebook about the shortlisted books as you are reading them or discussing them. After the winners are announced, you are welcome to blog about them.
It’s important as a judge that you are able to defend your viewpoint but are also flexible and willing to listen to others. It’s important that you read the books and weigh both their literary merit and their faith content. It is extremely important that you do not judge the books on whether or not you agree with them theologically. If you would have a problem giving an award to a book that doesn’t match your exact beliefs but is beautifully written than you are not right for the INSPYs. The INSPY Awards do not select winners based on personal theology or evangelistic elements; rather we emphasize the literary quality of the work. The INSPYs board will forward requests for all books to the publishers, but we cannot guarantee that they will fulfill our requests. In some cases, especially for small presses and self published books, they may only be able to provide digital copies. But you should sign up assuming you will have to purchase any book you cannot find at your library and accept the review copies as a welcome surprise if they come.
We are so excited to find a fabulous panel of judges and look forward to working with you!
We will accept nominations (via the form below) March 1-March 31, 2017. Judges will be announced April 15, 2017 (and shortlists will be announced April 30, 2017).